Global Attention Brought to Financial Abuse of Elders
Pittsfield, MA – Berkshire Bank will once again participate in World Elder Abuse Awareness Day on Fri., June 15, by hosting free informational seminars at local senior centers and libraries across its footprint. World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) is acknowledged annually in June as a call-to-action for communities to address the issues surrounding the physical, emotional, and financial abuse of elders.
Elder financial abuse is defined as a crime that deprives the resources and independence of elders through the misuse of assets and exploitation of financial control. "According to the National Center on Elder Abuse, approximately 1 in 10 Americans 60 years of age or older, have experienced some form of elder abuse, and only 1 in 14 cases of financial exploitation are ever reported. Developing programs to educate friends, families and elders in our communities on how to work together to safeguard their finances and personal information is the first step to address and prevent elder abuse", stated Tami Gunsch, EVP Retail Banking.
To help older individuals and their caregivers protect themselves or their loved ones from financial abuse, Berkshire Bank is offering the following free seminars to the public:
- Rockville Public Library, Vernon, CT – Thur., June 14 at 1:00 pm
- West Springfield Library, West Springfield, MA – Fri., June 15 at 2:00 pm
- Webster Senior Center, Webster, MA – Fri., June 15 at 10:00 am
- Providence House, Brighton, MA – Tue., June 19 at 2:30 pm
- Cheshire Senior Center, Cheshire, MA – Wed., June 27 at 1:00 pm
- Hudson Area Library, Hudson, NY – Fri., June 15 at 12:00 pm
- Ava Dorfman Senior Center, Rome, NY – Mon., June 18 at 10:00 am
- Colonie Senior Services, Colonie, NY – Fri., July 6 at 11:30 am
- Hamilton Senior Center, Hamilton, NJ – Mon., June 18at 10:00 am
- Vermont Veterans Home, Bennington, VT – Fri., June 22 at 1:00 pm
Prior seminars were held earlier this month in Stephentown and Rome, NY.
Senior centers and libraries are welcome to contact Berkshire Bank at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an Elder Abuse Awareness seminar.
About Berkshire Bank
Berkshire Bank, America's Most Exciting Bank®, is recognized for its entrepreneurial approach, relationship customer experience and distinctive culture. With $11.5 billion in assets, Berkshire provides business and consumer banking, mortgage, wealth management, investment and insurance services through 114 full service branch offices throughout New York, Connecticut, Vermont, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Massachusetts, including Commerce Bank, a division of Berkshire Bank. Berkshire Hills Bancorp (NYSE: BHLB) is the parent of Berkshire Bank. Berkshire Bank was named one of Massachusetts' Most Charitable Companies by the Boston Business Journal in 2017. To learn more, call 800-773-5601 or follow us on: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn. Berkshire Bank is the official bank of NESN's Boston Bruins coverage, the Pan-Mass Challenge and the community partner of Boston Seasons at City Hall Plaza.
# # #